Common Core State Standards
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) were created to better prepare students with skills needed for college and careers. The English Language Arts standards focus on providing an integrated model for literacy, that aligns with myON.
The myON personalized literacy environment provides anytime, anywhere access to over 10,000 enhanced digital texts with reading supports and measurement. Students can choose the books that they are interested in reading and are introduced to high quality, authentic digital content (70% non-fiction and 30% fiction) from trusted publishers.
Essential educational advantages in myON
- Uses the Lexile Framework for Reading to measure complexity
- Students have extensive opportunities to encounter complex text
- Scaffolds include modeled reading to help students read fluently
Range & quality of texts
- High quality, authentic text - digital versions of published books
- Greater volume of informational text - 70% nonfiction
- Fiction and multiple genres also included
Questions, tasks & scaffolds
- Scaffolds can be turned on/off for students
- Reading supports include highlighting, audio, and embedded dictionary
- Engage students by providing them opportunities to review and rate their reading experience
- Unlimited access to thousands of digital titles anytime, anywhere
- Reading recommendations are based on student interests and reading level
- myON leverages cloud computing allowing 24x7 access and high level of efficiencies for districts
- Develop academic vocabulary
- Online, embedded dictionary, and glossary options
- Text is central, and activities are text based, not distracting
The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy. (Common Core State Standards Mission Statement)
For more information on the Common Core Standards, visit www.corestandards.org.
myON provides unlimited access to over 10,000 enhanced digital texts with reading scaffolds and literacy tools that support the development of close/active reading and writing skills.
myON addresses key elements in the CCSS by leveraging our partnership with MetaMetrics®, creators of the Lexile® Framework.
myON monitors student progress and growth through embedded assessments.
myON measures number of books, pages and words read, as well as time spent reading.
Common Core classroom integration
myON has created a variety of Professional Development Services for districts that are implementing myON.
A dedicated Educator Resources site contains materials, resources and video tutorials.
PD sessions are available through a blended model and delivered by current and retired educators who have extensive background in program implementation.
Learn more about our Levels of Implementation and curriculum connections.