myON Announces “SuperHero” Summer Reading Winners
Students Read More Than 2.3 Million Books in Summer Contest
Minneapolis, Minn.. (Sept. 25, 2013) — Students in 4,246 schools nationwide read more than 2.3 million books over their summer vacation as part of myON’s second annual Summer “SuperHero” reading program. More than 65,000 students accessed nearly 4,500 digitally enhanced titles on myON reader, which tracked how many books each student read as well as their gains in Lexile™ reading levels.
The 2013 Summer SuperHero Program challenged students to read as many books as possible from May 15 - Aug. 15.
myON President Todd Brekhus commented, “The results of our summer reading contest speak volumes to the value of truly personalizing learning and literacy. myON provides a platform that students are comfortable with, and at the same time allows each individual reader to choose books they want to read, and at the level they should be reading at. I want to personally commend all of the students that participated in myON’s summer reading contest. This year, we saw students read more than 2.3 million books—an awe-inspiring number.”
Winners were selected based on the number of books read; prizes were awarded to the top three students in elementary schools (grades PreK-5) and middle schools (grades 6–12), as well as to the top five schools that spent the most time reading over the summer. Individual first place winners were awarded an iPad; second place winners an iPad mini; and third place winners a Sony Blogger. Prizes were also awarded to the top five schools and will receive a Variquest Poster Maker, eno interactive whiteboard, and additional publisher titles to add to their subscription.
myON, and its partners Variquest and Steelcase Education, would like to congratulate the winners of the 2013 Summer SuperHero Reading Program:
Elementary school student winners:
· First place: Tien T., Lake Gem Elementary School – Orlando, Fla.
· Second place: Hillary Q., Waterbridge Elementary School – Orlando, Fla.
· Third place: Danielle C., Waterbridge Elementary School – Orlando, Fla.
Middle school student winners:
· First place: Schindylne B., Bartels Middle School – Tampa, Fla.
· Second place: Enrique R., Rick Schneider Middle School – Houston, Texas
· Third place: Hongyu W., James A. McKee Elementary School – Elk Grove, Calif.
· Grand prize (Variquest poster maker): Jackson Elementary School – McAllen, Texas
· Runner-up (Steelcase Education interactive whiteboard): Farney Elementary School – Cypress, Texas
· Third place (Elementary publisher bundle): Birkes Elementary School – Houston, Texas
· Fourth place (Elementary publisher bundle): Environmental Sciences Magnet School at Mary Hooker – Hartford, Conn.
· Fifth place (Middle school publisher bundle): Saghalie Middle School – Federal Way, Wash.
For a complete list of all the winners and prizes, please visit myON online here.
myON, a business unit of Capstone, develops personalized learning environments for students. As the flagship product, myON reader provides access to the largest integrated collection of enhanced digital books with multimedia supports and embedded Lexile assessments to measure reading growth. Using myON reader, students gain confidence in their abilities, take ownership in their reading growth, and achieve success across the curriculum. Since the platform launched in January 2011, more than 2 million students have logged on to read upwards of 4.25 million books. For more information, visit www.myON.com